Ayurveda is an ancient Indian alternative medicine system with a long and illustrious history. According to Ayurvedic medicine, the five elements of the universe have a massive effect on a person's well-being.
The energy of these elements flows through marma points, which are unique anatomical positions in our body. Marma point therapy is the process of gently massaging these points to stimulate them to relieve pain and treat illness.
At Dr. Mande's Ayurveda & Physiotherapy Clinic, we offer the most-effective Marma Therapy in Vashi, Navi Mumbai. Our Founder, Dr. Kalpesh Mande, is among the best ayurvedic doctor in Navi Mumbai. Dr. Mande has 10+ years of experience providing various treatments through Spine panchakarma, Chiropractic therapy, European Osteopathy, Marma therapy, etc. Moreover, he focuses on the total rehabilitation and recovery of the individual through his efficient treatment.
Keep on reading to know more about Marma points, Marma therapy, and the benefits of Marma therapy.
What Are Marma Points?
Marma is a Sanskrit term that also means "hidden" or "secret." Ayurveda considers that when marma points are inflicted, there is a possibility of severe health harm.
A marma point is a body junction where two or more tissues meet, such as muscles, nerves, ligaments, bones, or joints.
The seven chakras, or our body's energy centers, correspond to major marma points. Minor points radiate outward from the torso and limbs. The diameter of these points varies from one to six inches.
Out of 108 marma points, 107 are present on the physical body and one in the mind. The 107 marma points cover various locations on both the front and back of our body, including:
- Mamsa Marma- Muscles -11 Points
- Asthi Marma- Bones -8 Points
- Snayu Marma-Tendons and ligaments -27 Points
- Sandhi Marma-Joints- 20 Points
- Shira Marma- Nerves, Veins, and Arteries- 41 Points
What Is Marma Therapy?
- Marma therapy is an integral part of Ayurveda that helps to maintain health by cleansing blocked energy.
- It's a whole-body massage with natural oils that gently stimulates specific energy points. Essential oils can be used to stimulate marma points, recover energy, relax physically and mentally.
- Marma therapy uses constructive mantras and meditation to remove any blockages.
- Marma therapies are a powerful way to communicate with your inner self while still nourishing and healing your physical body.
- It helps to go deep within yourself to transform and integrate appropriate patterns, emotions, and ways of well-being.
Who Is a Candidate for Marma Therapy?
Martial artists, athletes, musicians, singers, and other performers must keep their bodies in good health and shape because they are time-bound and constantly under pressure. It is ideal for people who need to relax or who have a medical condition such as:
- Sciatic pain
- Respiratory conditions
- Digestion and elimination problems
- Muscular and joint pain
- Frozen joints
- Muscular strain
- Neurological conditions
- Muscular twitching and cramps
- Facial or Bell's palsy
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Urinary incontinence
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
What Should You Expect From A Marma Therapy Session?
- We can stimulate the marma points using a variety of techniques. Our trained Ayurvedic doctor in Vashi can recommend a method that meets your specific needs.
- Typically, the therapy begins with a srota or abhyanga massage to relax your body. Then, your practitioner will apply herbal oils to bring out ama (toxicity). They will focus on particular marma points through circular movements.
- The circles' direction and the order in which the marma points are stimulated vary on the individual's dosha and the treatment's goal. Your ayurvedic doctor, through clockwise circular movements, will produce energy flow. The counter-clockwise directions help calm and soothe energy. For general relaxation, doctors suggest counter-clockwise circles.
- Depending upon your personal needs, your ayurvedic doctor may incorporate the following components into a marma therapy:
1. Light Therapy
Your practitioner can use coloured lights over the marma dots to deliver incoming energy for a particular function. It can treat a specific pain or ailment.
2. Essential Oils
Essential oils contain energy and herbal extracts. This intelligence communicates with energy at every marma point. To relax the mind and awaken intuition, we may apply sandalwood oil to the “Sthapani” (the point between the brows). To help clear the airways, apply eucalyptus oil to the marma point “Kshipra” (located on the palm between the thumb and index finger).
3. Crystals And Gems
Prana reaches the marma points through crystals, which serve as energy conductors. Placing specific energy crystals on particular marma points will enhance prana (energy) for healing. Depending on their sources, different gems have different amounts of energy.
What Are The Benefits Of Marma Therapy?
- Boosts immunity
- Releases emotional blockages
- Improves energy level
- Relieves pain
- Increases digestion, assimilation, and elimination
- Promotes deep and revitalizing sleep
- Boosts circulation to the skin
- Increases creativity
- Expands intuition
- Promotes deep peace
- Stimulates internal organs
- Balances doshas
- Slows aging
Book an appointment at Dr. Mande’s Ayurvedic & Physiotherapy Clinic to seek the best marma therapy in Vashi, Navi Mumbai.